EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
FEBRUARY 12, 2001
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 P.M. by Supervisor Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, Jeane Olson, Ann Johnson, Dick Lantz and Tom Ellis
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PEVIOUS MEETING:
MM/S Johnson/Ellis to approve January 8, 2001 minutes. Vote 5-0
MM/S Olson/Lantz to accept report dated January 2001
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Lantz/Ellis – Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: The Fire Department has received a $500 donation from the Firefighter’s Charitable Foundation, Inc. A thank you letter will be sent from the Board as well as the fire department.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT –Mike Radigan-Absent-No report
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert – Absent – No Report
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman – Absent – No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Rick Finke – The water samples are fine.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION – Rick Finke – Will contact Don Keith to see when a meeting was set.
CEMETERY COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – Absent – No Report
SEXTON COMMENTS – No sexton – Post job opening - pay $600 per year
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Bruce Olson – Next year we need to find another place to stack picnic tables and benches so the snow plow and Peninsula Sanitation can get in to do their jobs. Possibly we can stack them across the drive and in the open area on the south side of the compactor.
BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred Geis – Absent – No Report
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – Absent – No Report
- Relocation of mailboxes – Patty Asselin, Chairman was absent - Tabled
Contract for Backup Water operator – Don Keith will be backup water operator as an independent contractor. Copy of contract attached. MM/S Olson/Ellis to accept the contract. 5-0
- Request for Liquor License – A letter was received from Doug Johnson, new owner of the Lakeside Lodge, renamed the Eagle Lodge, stating his wish to apply for a beer and wine license and seeking the Board’s approval of such action. MM/S Lantz/Olson to approve his application for a beer and wine license. 5-0
- Set Date for Budget Workshop – Budget workshop for the 2001-2002 budget will be held Monday, February 26, 9:30 A.M. at the E.H. Township Hall. The Budget Hearing will be Monday, March 12, 2001, 6:30 P.M., prior to the regular board meeting at the E.H. Township Hall.
- Board of Review Dates – Dates and times for Board of Review have been set and are posted.
- Three Day Training for Board Members – There will be 3 day training sessions in Tustin, MI for all board members in April. Jeane Olson will be attending the Clerk’s session and Doug Sherk may be attending the Supervisor’s Session.
- Record Retention, Backup and Storage – Supervisor Boggio expressed concern that we would not have any backup records in case of fire and suggested that we develop a plan for copying and protecting records and put the financing of such a plan in the new budget. All board members will be thinking of ways to implement this idea. We also need a new safety deposit box at the bank since we had to close out the old one when National City closed the Mohawk Branch.
- Federal Surplus Program – Tom Ellis will be the new Federal Surplus Program Representative for Eagle Harbor Township.
- Mileage Reimbursement – The Federal Government has increased the mileage reimbursement to 34.5 cents a mile. We will raise our reimbursement to 33 cents per mile. MM/S Boggio/Lantz Vote 5-0
- Abandonment of Roads – Mike Hohner asked the Board to adopt a resolution to abandon " that portion of Fifth Street, South of Pine Street to the Southerly edge of the Plat and between Block 46 and Block 45. According to the Plat of Eagle Harbor Village." MM/S Olson/Lantz Roll Call Vote: Johnson – Aye, Ellis – Aye, Boggio – Aye, Lantz – Aye, Olson – Aye
Frank Carlton Asked the Board to adopt a resolution to abandon "that portion of Fourth Street, South of Pine Street to the Southerly edge of the Plat and Between Block 45 and Block 44. According to the Plat of Eagle Harbor Village." MM/S Ellis/Johnson Roll Call Vote: Lantz – Aye,
Olson – Aye, Boggio – Aye, Ellis – Aye, Johnson – Aye
- Land Acquisition - Supervisor Boggio has been approached by the North American Wetland Conservation Council to consider applying for matching funds for the acquisition of wetlands for preservation. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to investigate this possibility. Vote 5-0
ADJOURNMENT: 7:53 p.m. MM/S Ellis/Johnson – Vote 5-0
Jeane Olson, Clerk James Boggio, Supervisor