MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, and Clerk Olson
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS:
MM/S Olson/Johnson to approve the agenda with no additions. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays - The Agenda was approved.
· Approve minutes of February 9, 2004 regular meeting
· Accept Treasurer’s Report
· Approve Payment of Bills
MM/S Lance/Johnson to approve Consent Agenda 5 Ayes, 0 Nays – Consent Agenda approved.
· Hunter’s Point Letter – no comment
· Wyckoff Zoning Letters – Supervisor Sherk will send a copy of our present land use map to complete the final task 3.
· Recreation Plan – no comment
· Fire Truck RD Loan Funds - no comment
· Emergency Liaison to County – Letter was posted in township office regarding chain of command.
· Resignation/appointment of Deputy Clerk – Chris black resignation was accepted and Edward Kisiel assumed the duties as the new Deputy Clerk.
· Land Update Dunes Marshes – received final filed deed.
· Land Update LLR2 - no comment
· BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred Geis email was read regarding his resignation as chairman.
· CEMETERY COMMITTEE – No Report.
· SEXTON COMMENTS –Mike Braman - No Report
· COMMUNITY BUILDING – Jeane Olson – No Report.
· FIRST RESPONDERS – Bruce Olson – CPR Training for the volunteer fire department on March 27 & 28 2004 at the township hall.
· HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE - Kris Callog – No Report
· HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE – Jeane Olson – Prindle letter reported on.
· 911 COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – No Report
· PARK COMMITTEE – George Hite – No Report
· RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – No Report
· SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Doug Schubert -No Report
· VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT – Mike Radigan – No Report
· WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman - No Report
· WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Reid Rastello –Everything is running A-OK. Water use is down after past system repairs.
· WELLHEAD PROTECTION –– No Report
· ZONING ADVISORY COMMITTEE – March 2 meeting was canceled and extention granted until the end of March.
· Sewage Land Purchase –Tabled until Purchase Agreement is received.
· Fire Truck Financing – Tabled until June
· Traffic Signs – Tabled until Report is Received from County
· Private Road Ordinance – Tabled/waiting for advice from attorney
· Recreation Signs – MM/S Johnson/Ellis to use aluminum plaques instead of routered text, motion passed Unanimously
· Solid Waste Signs - Handout
1. Color – MM/S Johnson/Olson to accept color scheme of signs as presented. Passed 5-0
2. Location – MM/S Johnson/Ellis for sign location as described except for compactor sign, which will be relocated due to continual damage caused by hauler. Passed 5-0
3. Wording – MM by Trustee Lantz to accept wording failed. MM/S Johnson/Olson to table issue until wording for main sign item #2 is clarified. Passed 5-0
· Salary Review - no action
· Amend Fire Assessment Budget - MM/S Johnson/Sherk to amend debt service principle to reflect actual payment. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
· Renew Water Operator Contract – MM/S Lantz/Ellis to extend Rick Fink’s contract for another 7 months until October 2004. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
· Renew Assessor Contract – MM/S Sherk/Johnson to table until update received from assessor. Motion passed 5-0.
· Solid Waste Backup Salary – MM/S Johnson/Lantz to pay manager’s rate when backup personnel act in that position for 2 or more consecutive sessions when the manager is unavailable. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
· Per Diem Reimbursement for Security Training-Rick Finke – No action needed
· Request to Purchase Jackets for Fire Department personnel – MM/S Lantz/Ellis to purchase jackets for the Fire Department personnel at $130 each not to exceed a maximum of $2500. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
· Adopt Budget for Fiscal Year 2004-2005 – MM/S Olson/Johnson to adopt budget. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
· Set Meeting Dates for Fiscal Year 2004-2005 – MM/S Olson/Ellis to accept dates passed 5-0
· Reaffirm Attorney, Auditor and Financial Institution – MM/S Johnson/Lantz and passed 5-0 to reaffirm the following:
1. Attorney Mechlin
2. Auditor John Jukuri
3. Financial Institutions Superior National Bank and Wells Fargo Bank
· Keys to Solid Waste Facility for Bay Electric – MM/S Sherk/Lantz to assign keys to Bay Electric failed 2-3
· Disposal of old Slide – MM/S Ellis/Lantz to sell to anonymous buyer for $1. Motion passed 5-0.
· Insurance Risk Control – MM/S Sherk/Johnson to table until further information received.
· Conservation Easement – MM/S Olson/Johnson to table until wording of documents has been presented passed 5-0.
· Art Show – Road Closure (3rd from North to Center) and Electric use by Band at Twp Hall – MM/S Sherk/Johnson to allow electric use and support road closure. The township does not have authorization to close county roads and therefore Trustee Lantz to advise Nancy McCabe to contact Keweenaw County Road Commission regarding road closure. Motion carried unanimously.
· Mountain Lodge – MMS/S Johnson/Sherk to authorize township Supervisor to respond to Western Upper Peninsula Planning and Development Regional Commission “Notice of Intent Review” form for the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge project. The board agreed to general wording for the form approving the applicant and project with strong support for the presentation of the historical appearance and structure of the present buildings by a vote of 4-1.
· Water Electrical Ground Ordinance – MM/S Olson/Johnson and approved 5-0 to revise letter to attorney to reflect compliance with building codes for safety reasons.
· MM/S Lantz/Johnson to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 8:44 p.m.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
- CERTIFICATION –
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 8th day of March, 2004.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township