EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
May 10, 1999
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Jeane Olson
MEMBERS ABSENT: John Clarkson
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING: Two corrections to the April 12, 1999 minutes were made. The resolution for the new fire truck was unanimously approved by a roll call vote of 4-0 . And the well-head grant is for $12,500, not $25000.00. MM/S Keith/Olson.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Report dated April 1999 was accepted.
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Keith/Olson to approve – Vote 4-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: Jeane Olson was thanked for filing in while Ann Johnson was away.
Volunteer Fire Department – Mike Radigan – Mike reported three additions to the fire department. They are Jay Mitchell, Bruce Mitchell and Bruce Wagner. A donation of $250.00 will be made to Copper Harbor for their involvement in the First Responder training. A letter to show support of 911 for Keweenaw County will be sent to the Keweenaw County Board. Mike Radigan is on the 911 committee.
Water & Well-Head Protection Committee – John Wakeman – Water Board to meet next month.
Cemetery Committee – Ginny Shubert (Absent)
Solid Waste Committee – Bruce Olson – summer hours
Wed 10-12 AM
Sat 9-12 AM
Sun 3- 5 PM
Beach Committee – Vern Robinson (Absent), Jim Boggio mentioned that the raft may not go out this year because the lake level is down.
Recreation Committee – Barbara Sickler – Barb reported that sand is needed by the playground equipment.
Also her budget of $375.00 was approved for the 4th of July. MM/S Olson/Keith
Progress of Purchase of Fire truck: George Hite reports that the contracts have been signed.
- Well-Head Protection: Grant has been approved. The Township will provide matching funds. (4/99). Water Board will meet next month.
- Grand Marais (Goodell Road) Special Assessment: A resolution has been passed to set up a special assessment district for Road maintenance. Tabled (4/99) Board authorized $1000.00 to have this project started. These funds will be repaid to the General Fund. MM/S Olson/ Keith.
- Water Department Manager Position: Bruce Le Blanc and Rich Harrer have showed an interest in applying. Interviews will be forthcoming.
- Hebard Park Plat: Bids advertised on 5/1 and accepted until 6/1. (4/99) Nothing received back yet.
- Special Election for 1 mil 3 year "renewal" of Fire Protection Millage: July 27, 1999 has been set for the election. (3/99).
- Village Water Main System: Project to extend the existing 8" water main from Center to 3rd is forthcoming. (3/99).
- Recreation Acquisition of Land: A county recreation plan is in place. The Township is applying for a recreation grant to help with the funding. (3/99).
- Bids for Township building have been received and all but one were over budget. Tabled until John Clarkson returns in June. (4/99).
- Requests for water hookup for Patricia Miller, James Geiger and Rick Finke. MM/S Keith/Olson. Voter 3-0.
- Letters have been received from two residents concerning water hookups that have been disconnected during construction or search for leaks.
- A resolution was passed for a liquor license for the Sunset Lodge limited owned by Mrs. Gilmore. MM/S Keith/Olson. Vote 3-0.
- Publication of Water Ordinance changes- need to be publicized.
- Confirmation of appointment was made that Dick Lantz is the Deputy Treasurer.
- Municipal Civil Infraction System- more research on this is needed.
- Raise the cost of cemetery lots- A resolution was made to raise the cost for residents to $200.00 and $500.00 for non-residents starting August 1, 1999. MM/S Boggio/Olson motion passed. vote 3-0.
- Donations to Schoolhouse Restoration Fund
- Flag & Memorial Day Service – A new flag is needed for the township office. The Rev. Goodrich will be holding a Memorial Day service.
- Committees – Letters received by the township should go to the appropriate committees.
ADJOURNMENT: 8:11 p.m. MM/S Olson/Keith – Vote 3-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor