EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
June 21, 1999
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Donald Keith, Jeane Olson, Gerald Johnson
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING: MM/S Keith/Olson
TREASURERS REPORT: Report dated April 1999 was accepted
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Keith/Olson to approve Vote 5-0
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: Thanked Jeane Olson for her work with the Hebard Park situation. Thanked Kathy Carlton for the Flag. Thanked Clarence Bach for the great job he is doing at the Solid Waste Facility.
Volunteer Fire Department Mike Radigan Fire Truck should be here in January or
Water & Well-Head Protection Committee John Wakeman Don Keith not retiring and Rick Finke will be helping, and will preparing to get his certification in the next year. A motion was made by Olson and supported by Johnson for two exploratory bids to be let for a new water line from 7th to 3rd Street or 7th to Front Street. The amount of the bids will determine if the line will go to Front Street or just to 3rd.
Cemetery Committee Ginny Shubert rates will be going up for residents to $200 and non-residents to $500.00.
Solid Waste Committee Bruce Olson Users are reminded that NO BUILDING MATERIALS should be left at the dump.
Beach Committee Vern Robinson When the water level is up the fate of the raft will be determined .
Recreation Committee Barb Sickler A motion to give $100 for the 4th of July activities was made by Olson/Keith. Motion passed vote 5-0.
Well-Head Protection: Grant has been approved. The Township will provide matching funds. (4/99). Water Board will meet next month.
- Grand Marais (Goodell Road) Special Assessment: A resolution has been passed to set up a special assessment district for Road maintenance. Tabled (4/99) Board authorized $1000.00 to have this project started. These funds will be repaid to the General Fund. MM/S Olson/Keith.
July and prepare to get certified. Resolution: MM/S Clarkson/Olson. Roll call Vote: 5-0.
- Water Department Manager Position: Don Keith not retiring, Rich Finke to start in
- Hebard Park Plat: Motion made to hire Bob Crampton as the surveyor. MM/S Olson/Keith. Vote 5-0.
- Village Water Main System: Project to extend the exiting 8" water main from Center to 3rd is forthcoming. (3/99). Motion to get two exploratory bids for new water line. MM/S Olson/Johnson.
- Recreation Acquisition of Land: A county recreation plan is in place. The Township is applying for a recreation grant to help with the funding. (3/99).
- Raise the cost of cemetery lots A resolution was made to raise the cost for residents to $200.00 and $500.00 for non-residents starting August 1, 1999. MM/S Boggio/Olson. Vote 3-0.
- Donations to Schoolhouse Restoration Fund Jim Boggio gave an update.
- Flag & Memorial Day Service A new flag is needed for the township office. The Rev. Goodrich will be holding a Memorial Day service.
- Committee Letters received by the township should go to the appropriate committee.
- Township Hall Construction: Bob Masnado presented to options and bids. Tabled until next meeting.
- Water Department: MM/S Keith/Olson motion made to enforce ordinance for nonpayment of Water bills. Vote 5-0.
- Burnham & Flowers Insurance Marty Olgren, rep. Presented insurance proposal. Will work with a committee. (John Clarkson, Ann Johnson, Don Keith)
- Disposal of old assessment cards: People can pick up some of the duplicate info see Ann Johnson.
- Riding lawnmower for township: motion to purchase lawn mower for less than $1,500. MM/S Keith/Olson. Vote 5-0.
- Eliza Lake Property Resolution: MM/S Keith/Olson. Vote not passed: 2 yes/3 no. The Board will accept a deed to the land by Eliza Lake but cannot accept checks made out to the township to purchase the property. The Board has other land purchasing priorities. Motion: We, the Eagle Harbor Board, will accept the deed or funds, sufficient to purchase the 850 feet of land south of the pump house road and north of Lake Eliza. This land is to be used as a nature area for all and will be a gift to the township. All funds given are to be "free-will" donation, no tax money are to be involved. Vote 5-0.
- Solid Waste restriction reminders no construction material.
- Water connection (Wayne Sickler) Hook to water main. MM/S Keith/Olson. Vote 5-0.
ADJOURNMENT: 9:40 p.m. MM/S Olson/Keith Vote 5-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor