EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
JULY 13, 1998
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Nancy Sherk
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
MINUTES: MM/S Keith/Johnson to approve the June minutes - Vote 5-0
TREASURER’S REPORT: Report Accepted
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Sherk/Johnson to approve - Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: Boggio spoke about the 2-1/2 mile stretch of property along M-26 near Esrey Park belonging to several E.H.Township property owners and the problem involving the incorrect boundary lines. Clear title cannot be obtained because of this issue. Boundaries were set some eighty years ago and have been incorrect since then. A new assessor’s plat will be necessary to straighten the problem out at the expense of the property owners involved and is not a township liability. Also, the painting project has been started on the schoolhouse and looks very nice. He has asked the contractor painting, Fritz Kesanen, to consider siding the back porch of the building to complete the job.
Volunteer Fire Department - Mike Radigan
- Boggio spoke about the fire truck special assessment. He proposed the board elect to go with a vote of the people, putting it on the November ballot, instead of the board deciding on this issue after the public hearings. Don Keith would like to postpone Boggio’s proposal, until after the public hearings. No further action was taken.
Water & Well-head Protection Committee - John Wakeman
- Action was requested by Keith to grant resident, Lamerand, to have a water hook-up to two of their properties. The health department has not made their approval yet, so there was no action taken on behalf of the board.
- An ‘open’ meeting for all village water users will be after the Firetruck ‘Public Hearing’ July 16th to discuss water issues and bring residents up to date. This date was decided at the June 8, 1998 township meeting and was documented in the meeting minutes.
Cemetery Committee - John Pippenger
- Boggio asked Mr. Pippenger to meet with committee member, Ginny Shubert, to move forward with cemetery issues, such as rate structure and issuing deeds to lot owners.
Solid Waste Committee - Bruce Olson
- Boggio commented that he feels the Solid Waste Facility is working well
Beach Committee - Vacant
- The new members of the beach committee are as follows: Chairperson, Vern Robinson, Dick Lantz, Brad Pruner & Fred Geis
Recreation Committee - Barb Sickler (Absent)
- Boggio spoke for Barb, she would like to thank everyone for taking part in the Fourth of July event. She hasn’t got the final figures together at this time.
- Dry hydrant Placements and Time Table: Mich. Dept. of Transportation has responded to us, but we have not received a response from the DNR regarding the placement permit for hydrants at Silver River on M-26 and the Gratiot Lake boat launch site.
- Appointment of August Primary Precinct Inspectors: Anna Royce, Pat Keith, and Joyce Christenson have been appointed by motion of Clarkson, supported by Johnson, unanimous vote.
- Inventory of Township Tangible Property for Audit & Insurance Purposes: Don Keith was asked to submit an inventory of the Water Dept., Mike Radigan to inventory the Fire Department property, and Ann Johnson to inventory the township hall. Information needed: Identify property, quantity, original costs, if possible, and date of purchase. It was suggested that perhaps a video tape of the inventory may be helpful also.
- Gratiot Lake area usage of the Youth Academy Solid Waste system: It was brought to the attention of the township board at a recent outdoor dinner held at the academy, the interest of sharing the usage of the YSI dumpster facility and Gratiot Lake residents. The director of the academy would like to meet with the board on July 20th regarding this issue.
- Census 2000: The U.S. Census Bureau is soliciting people to help canvass areas in preparation for the Census 2000. Anyone interested in employment, is to contact (906) 226-9652.
ADJOURNMENT: 7:47 PM MM/S Johnson/Sherk - Vote 5-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor