MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Clerk Olson, Supervisor Sherk, and Trustee Ellis Present. Treasurer Johnson absent.
MM/S Olson/Lantz to approve the agenda with the following changes and additions.
· Change Rep. Brown re: Bill Support under Supervisors Correspondence to Rep. Brown Revenue Sharing Support.
· Remove Revenue Sharing under Supervisors Correspondence and move handout to Rep. Brown Revenue Sharing Support under first item of Supervisors Correspondence.
· Remove Rep. Brown Support Reply under Supervisors Correspondence and move handout to Rep. Brown Revenue Sharing Support under first item of Supervisors Correspondence.
· Add Omega House Nancy Wakeman under Supervisors Remarks.
· Add Under New Business Water with two sub-categories, New Valve and Lot77 Blk 10 Future Water access.
· Add Street Resurfacing under New Business
The Agenda was approved 4 Ayes, 0 Nays.
· Approve minutes of September 13, 2004 regular meeting.
· Accept Treasurers Report
· Approve Payment of Bills with the following additions.
1. Bill Siler Contracting bill of $52259.64 under Water Fund account.
2. Traverse Engineering, Dick Supina bill of $7909.00 under Water Fund account.
MM/S Olson/Lantz to approve Consent Agenda 4 Ayes, 0 Nays Consent Agenda approved.
· Rep. Brown Revenue Sharing Support Supervisor Sherk summarized his correspondence.
· Keweenaw County September 2004 Minutes - Posted at the Township Hall.
· Conservation Easement Supervisor Sherk summarized the status.
· VFD Grant Funds and Donation Received. The donations from the Spaghetti Dinner were discussed along with a recent Grant. Supervisor Sherk thanked everyone that donated to the VFD-First Responder Spaghetti Dinner.
· ORV Planning Input Supervisor Sherk announced the upcoming meeting.
· MSU Extension Budget Crisis The elimination of support staff was discussed with additional information about the recent reversal of this decision.
· Keweenaw Point Committee Recommendations - Supervisor Sherk summarized.
· Water Funding Efforts - Supervisor Sherk summarized his recent letters.
· National By-way Status US41 Update - Supervisor Sherk provided an overview of the project and the current status per the recent meeting that he and Deputy Clerk Kisiel attended. The Advisory Committee is preparing for application submittal.
· Sewage Land Update - Supervisor Sherk summarized the response from Lake Superior Land Company to his request to have absolute rights to relocate the involved easements. His requests were denied. Supervisor Sherk felt that the Township could have this done if necessary under the right of Eminent Domain.
· Water Project 3rd and 5th Street Water Main Project was complete on time and under budget.
· Omega House Nancy Wakeman provided a status report of the project and indicated that they are requesting donations to cover operational expense. They are also holding a fund raiser.
· Cemetery Committee Ginny Schubert No Report.
Sexton Comments Mike Braman Fence is being repaired and Flags were removed for winter.
· Community Building Jeane Olson Last Event is Thursday October 14th and the building will be winterized afterwards.
· First Responders Bruce Olson A thank you card and $500 donation was received from the Royston Family. Additional funds were received from the Joint Spaghetti Dinner with the VFD.
· Hazard Mitigation Committee Kris Callog A mock disaster drill is planned at the end of the month.
· Hebard Plat Committee Jeane Olson No Report.
· 911 Committee Doug Schubert Concerns regarding emergency notification and access for the Keweenaw Point was reported.
· Park Committee George Hite No Report.
· Recreation Committee Barb Sickler New Playground equipment has arrived and Supervisor Sherk asked that the resurfacing of the basketball court be added to the upcoming budget meetings for consideration.
· Solid Waste Committee No Report.
· Volunteer Fire Department No Report.
· Water Committee John Wakeman Bill Siler Contracting did a good job in all aspects of the recently completed water project.
Water Systems Operator Reid Rastello Supervisor Sherk asked the Water System Operator to follow-up on grass seeding from the recent water project and a recent repair at the Harper-Vincent residence. He also requested that valve covers are checked regarding a recent report of them sticking up creating a nuisance. It was reported that the UPS for the Pump House has not been installed and Supervisor Sherk asked the Clerk to make sure the bill was not paid until after installation was complete.
· Wellhead Protection Committee Reid Rastello No Report.
· Zoning Advisory Committee George Hite No Report.
· Fire Truck Financing After indicating that the loan and grant expiration was fast approaching, Supervisor Sherk made a motion to pursue a Special Assessment District for the financing of a new Fire Truck. The Motion was seconded by Trustee Lantz and passed on a Roll Call Vote of 3-1 with Trustee Ellis as the sole dissenter. Treasure Johnson was absent.
· Private Road Ordinance Tabled awaiting further information, no update.
· Insurance Risk Control Tabled awaiting further information, no update.
· Water Electrical Ground Ordinance Tabled, no update.
· Assessor Contract Tabled, no update.
· Resolution of Non-profit Status of Fire Department MM/S Sherk/Lantz passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0.
· School Busing No change will happen this year and the item will be removed from the agenda until a time when the subject is relevant again.
· Water Rick Finke Contract MM/S Sherk/Lantz to renew contract for 6 months thru March 31, 2005 passed 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
· Snow Removal On hold waiting for more information.
· Cedar Creek Beach Supervisor Sherk summarized the proposed property donation from Donald and Barbara Koop.
1. MM/S Sherk/Lantz to accept property and Land Purchase Agreement for expenses not to exceed $2000 passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0.
2. MM/S Sherk Lantz to name the property Koop-Black Cove with the permission of the donors passed 4-0.
3. MM/S Ellis/Olson to spend a maximum of $200 for a name sign for the property passed 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
1. New Valve MM/S Sherk/Ellis to authorize the purchase of a valve and installation not to exceed $3000 in order to decommission an older 3 water main for 1 block on 3rd Street passed 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
2. Lot 77, Blk 10 Future Water Access - MM/S Sherk/Olson to provide access to a water hookup for Lot 77, Blk 10 on 3rd Street, due to the above mentioned water main decommission, for the normal fees and no extra water main extension fees, passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0.
· Street Resurfacing MM/S Sherk/Olson to rescind prior motion for the resurfacing of 3rd Street passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0. The resurfacing will be considered with additional resurfacing next year, including the parking area next to the Town Hall, to facilitate a better price.
Policy/Rule for public comment: 3 minutes per person up to 20 minutes total during meeting and 3 minutes per person up to 20 minutes total under public comment section of agenda.
This policy will be stated on all agendas
Several Citizens were recognized for the following public comments:
· Ginny Schubert Art Show concessions netted a donation of $1565 for each of the local churches.
· Nancy Wakeman, due to their upcoming absence and on behalf of her family, thanked Supervisor Sherk for an excellent term as Supervisor.
· MM/S Lantz/Ellis to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 8:18 PM
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 11th day of October, 2004.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township