Eagle Harbor Web
An unofficial source of Eagle Harbor, Michigan news, views and information.
Favorite Keweenaw Links
If you are tuned into the Internet and Web, you probably have more web sites saved as Bookmarks or Favorite Sites than you ever use. George's Eagle Harbor Web Site will try not to add to the clutter. There are better places to go for exhaustive link lists. I have found, however, a number of sites that I find interesting because they relate to our area and the special interests of those of us who live or visit here. I'm sure there are other such sites and will add them to the list when you tell me about them.
- Copper Country Weather
- Quick, concise information on local weather. Temps, humidity, wind,pressure,conditions, sunrise, sunset,moom phase, forecasts. My personal favorite national weather page isIntellicast(Start with wind, move to temp and precip.) Great visuals!
Be sure to check out the Wundermap.
- Snow Central
- A must visit site for snow addicts. Keweenaw based private metrologist John Dee provides a comprehensive view of area snow conditions and short and long range forecasts. A must go to site for Keweenaw sledders.
- Lake Superior Ship Locations
- Wondering what ship that is out there, or when the Cort might pass by? Check out this site. A new AIS receiver atop the old radar base picks up transponder signals from ships travelling in central Lake Superior.
- Lake Superior Radar
- Watch storms move across the upper midwest into our area. For storms in close vicinity, check Marquette Radar
- Marine Weather Forecast For Offshore Lake Areas
- For near shore, checkNear Shore Forecast Before you head out, check these pages.
- Lake Weather Conditions
- Hourly updates on wind, temp, barometer, etc at several loactions around the big lake and at Devils Island, Rock of Ages, Passage Island and Stannard Rock lighthouses. Same stuff plus wave height and water temp at four offshore buoys during the shipping season.
- Superior Surface Water Temperatures
- Our friends from NOAA provide these colorful maps. Updated daily, these maps are especially valuable for those looking for just the right water surface temperatures for their favorite fishing.
- Level News
- The best source for data and analysis of water level for Superior and the other Great Lakes. Again thanks to Environment Canada.
- For a quick update on Superior level compared to year ago and all time maximums, minimums and averages, go to NOAA Superior Level Report
- Keweenaw Information
- A very informative and interesting web site maintained by the Keweenaw Visitors Bureau. News of activities and links to area attractions, lodging and dining. Daily updates on snowmobile, cross-country and ski trail conditions plus a snowfall report..
- Great Lakes Vessal Passage
- The URL has the word "boatnerd" in it. That says it all. Without a doubt, the most complete Great Lakes shipping resource on the Web.
- Soo Locks Cam
Eagle Harbor is close to the upbound and downbound tracks of the hundreds of lakers and salties that pass by each year. These ships fascinate us. Here's a site that affords some up-close looks as they travesrse the Sault locks. Updates every 30 seconds. (Don't worry about the warning message. The site is safe.)
- Corps of Engineers Superior Home Page
- If you wonder what the lake level is and will be for the coming months, this is the page. Probably the best page for information about the lake.
- Duluth Shipping News
- Want to hear the Duluth fog horn? Check out this very well designed and always fresh report on Duluth port activity, ship news, and lots of interesting stuff about the Superior region and its people. Your point of access to the Great Lakes Web Ring.
- Isle Royale Boaters Association
- Our own Fred Bieti is a founder and active member of this advocacy group representing the interests of sail and power boaters who enjoy the waters and harbors of Lake Superior.
- Keweenaw County Historical Society
We are fortunate to be in an area with such a rich and interesting history. Mine sites, old schools, lighthouses, and historic churches are visable reminders of the toil, tribulation and triumphs of the peoples of Keweenaw. Our very active Historical Society is doing a great job of preserving, restoring and interpretaing this history - sharing the stories of these people and their times. Many Harborites are supporting the Society and are actively involved in the Society's work. How about you?
- Copper Country Explorer
A terrific site for anyone interested in the industrial empire the Copper Country once was. The site explores old mining locations, including those in the Eagle Harbor vicinity, the truly awesome industrial complex built by C&H and other mining companies, the grand and not so grand buildings of the copper towns, and the events that shaped the story of our area. Great photography and lively narrative. A wealth of information.
- Gratiot Lake Conservancy>Gratiot Lake Conservancy
Gratiot Lake is perhaps Eagle Harbor Township's least appreciated natural gem. Thanks to the Lizzadro family and other Gratiot Lake stakeholders, the lake and its environs are being carefully conserved and protected for the enjoyment of future generations. The Conservancy, formed in 1998, is an excellent example of what private citizens and landowners can do to promote and practice good stewardship of our unique natural resorces.
- Space Weather
Eagle Harbor's northern latitude, clear and dark night skies, and across Superior vistas are perfect for Northern Light viewing. Here's a link to let you know when to look for them. Lots of other interesting stuff too.
Here's another great Northern Light site. The Aurora Page
Everything you ever wanted to know about Northern Lights, including a fascinating forecast map.
- Bob Moler's Ephemeris
- The Harbor's clear dark sky is perfect for star gazing and Bob's award winning Ephemeris is a great source of information about what's going on in Northern Michigan night skies.
- Astronomy Picture of the Day
- For the real cosmos buffs, here's some spectacular pictures with explanations by the pros. Changes every day.
- Keweenaw Underwater Preserve Website
- Brendon Baillod's interesting and comprehensive inventory of shipwrecks along the Keweenaw Peninsula. Pictures, history and wreck locations.
- Harbor Lakeview
- Bill and Eric Jackson's Eagle Harbor Cable live camera view of our Lake Superior shoreline.Camera located on shore north of Eagle Harbor Inn. Updated every 15 minutes. Watch the waves and sunsets.
- Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association
- For lighthouse nuts (aren't we all?). Great links to other lighthouse resources.
- Seeing The LightTerry and Sue Pepper's terrific lighthouse history web site. Your best resource for information on ligthouses on the western Great Lakes. Includes a very thorough history of the the Eagle Harbor Light Station and the original Eagle Harbor range lights.
- Gull Rock Lightkeepers
- This lonely little lighthouse off the tip of the Keweenaw is being beautifully restored. Visit this site to check out the progress.
- Granite Island lighthouse
- Here's another great Lake Superior cam. This one from Granite Island Lighthouse, near Marquette. It's been beautifully restored by Scott Holman. Be sure to visit his Granite Island Light Station site.
- Neil Harri Photos
- Harbor neighbor Neil Harri is a skilled pilot and photographer. We often see him buzzing about the Harbor. Here's a site where you can see and purchase his beautiful aerial photos of the Keweenaw.
- Keweenaw Genealogy
- Pat Hemp maintains this interesting and valuable site for all who seek information about their Keweenaw ancestors. Queries, obituaries, biographies, cemeteries, marriages, and more.
- Pasty Central
- Do you yearn for a delicious Cornish Pasty? Mail order one from Pasty Central. An outstanding site with the famous "Pasty Cam", the "Pasty Cameo"and the always interesting "Cam notes". Some good area cam shots too!
- The Daily Mining Gazette
- Yep, the local rag has gone high tech. A gold (copper?) mine of Copper Country news and events. A good way to stay in touch when you are away.
Go To: Harbor Web Menu